I think it is safe to say, that most of us have a basic understanding, at least, that we need trees because they create oxygen, and that we need oxygen to breath so we can stay alive. But there are more benefits that we don't think about or maybe don't even know. The tree people have listed the Top 22 Benefits of Trees which includes:
- Combat climate change
- Clean the air
- Cool the streets and the city
- Saves water
- Prevents water pollution
- Provide habitat for wildlife
So with the global human population increasing it makes sense that we need more trees, right? But if you have seen Cowspiracy the movie you will know that deforestation is a huge issue for our environment and it's largely caused by animal agriculture. Some truly alarming facts were exposed by Cowspiracy including:
- 1-2 acres of rainforest are cleared every second
- Animal agriculture is responsible for 91% of Amazon destruction
- 136 million acres of rainforest cleared for animal agriculture
- 110 animal and insect species are lost every day from rainforest destruction.
What you can do
- Eating a plant-based diet reduces the demand for animal agriculture and eating ethically & locally grown produce helps sustain responsible farming practices.
- There are amazing charities around the world planting trees that you can help fund by donating to them.
- In the UK
- In the USA
- In Australia
- Sign Petitions that focus on helping to protect rainforests such as the Rainforest Action Network and Rainforest Rescue
Since the 1970's Majuli islander Jadav Payeng has been planting trees in order to save his island. To date he has single handedly planted a forest larger than Central Park NYC. His forest has transformed what was once a barren wasteland, into a lush oasis. It's a beautiful and inspiring story of how an individual can really make a difference.
Thank you for taking action and making a difference.